[MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Thu May 25 12:02:15 CEST 2000

<snip>

> What I want, ultimately, is for the biography of a sizable
> portion of the
> player population to contain the puzzle pieces which tell a series of
> larger and larger stories - stories which are not mapped out
> beforehand,
> but flow out of the interactions between each other and their
> environment.
>
> Given my definitions, how would you use a team of writers to
> accomplish my
> goals?
>
> I still maintain that handcrafting events which involve tens
> of thousands
> of players individually is neither achievable nor desirable.

LOL, I don't think what you describe is practical, but you don't think what
I describe is practical, so we're okay there.

Setting that aside, given your goals, writers trying to shoehorn story into
the proceedings would be very intrusive and undesirable.  It sounds as if
you would not want any conscious shaping of the course of events beyond what
the players can manage.  I can't tell for sure whether there would be any
NPCs in your world, or not.  If yes, if I were you, I'd cozy up to at least
one writer to handle their characters and dialogue. :)

Lee