[MUD-Dev] Free Speech

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Mon May 22 20:36:18 CEST 2000

From: "Par Winzell" <zell at alyx.com>:
> So. Why precisely are you perturbed by this mail? Are you searching
> your soul or would you rather he silently disappered beneath the
> waves?

>From any other player I would have just ignored it, or responded that its a
private MUD and the players only have the "right" to logout.  But he's a
Real Live Lawyer (who said a LITTLE knowlege of the law was a dangerous
thing).

Besides which, I kinda like the guy, he's only trying to help.  I'd like to
put his mind at ease that we aren't actually going to be thrown in the pokey
for telling people not to have sex in public, or swap drug prices even.
He's legitimately concerned about that.  Also thinks we should tag all the
minors as being "Under 18" in order to limit our liability, or something (I
haven't paid real close attention to that argument at all, just on account
of it being impossible to do, and so a moot point as to whether we should do
it or not).

All fairly bizarre, and about the best argument I've come up with is "Er...
no, you're completely wrong, even though you're a lawyer and I'm not.  Uh...
trust me."