[MUD-DEV] Ten Commandments for the next MMORPG

The Inquisition Administrator inqcode at excalibur.inetsolve.com
Mon May 22 18:47:31 CEST 2000

Mud Imp wrote:

[snip]
> Anyone got any seriou suggestion how we can  reach those people who's only
> experince with mudding in any form is everquest or UO clients that they
> install on their desktops then click on?

Sure. We could collectively pool together and buy some adspace in some of
the more widely read gaming magazines.  With URL's and telnet addresses to
the sites of those who contribute to the campaign.  I'm certain that
between all of us we've got some pretty good media talent which could
design an attractive full page ad.  I know of several freelance artists on
my game who would likely be willing to do so for us, if no one else does.

Agreed that many people find UO, EQ, and other large-scale gaming
companies to be overpriced, overrated, and much akin to "big-blue"
inasmuch that they have absolutely zero customer service skills for the
end-user.  Just as that behemoth was toppled, so to speak, by the David's
of the '80s, so too is a coup possible among the current RPG playerbases.
Too, I believe that much of the potential playerbase for text-based games
is unrealised, simply because no one has marketed to them.  While a
graphical MMORPG may not appeal to the generation which remembers Fidonet
and arpanet gateways, there is a very real potential that a text-based
genre would.

A lot of the marketing potential for MU*'s is lost, simply because many
either fail to market appropriately, or rely upon word of mouth - which
can be be doubly harmful when a 'new' person visits a MU* for their first
time. With the large number of servers available, and the massive amount
of poorly run ones (not saying anyone on this list is guilty of that, just
a vague generalization - forgive me if it offends you) on the net, I'd
wager that many players who are open to the concept of a text-based MPORPG
simply become jaded with their first visit, and group all of them as
'poorly run' from that point on.

Robbert