[MUD-Dev] The great myth of broadband

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Sun May 21 19:00:42 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Green" <brian at psychochild.org>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2000 3:19 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] The great myth of broadband

> I found an interesting survey while reading about the 'net.
>
> http://www.thestandard.com/research/metrics/display/0,2799,15018,00.html
>
> It's an article on some of the studies done by a few research firms.
>
> The most interesting is one by Jupiter communications:
>
> --------------------
> U.S Net Population Broadband Adoption Plans
>
>  2% Within the next six months
>  3% Within the next year
>  5% Within the next two years
>  5% Already have broadband
> 11% As soon as it's offered
> 73% No plans to switch to broadband
> --------------------
>
> Yep, that's right, about three-quarters of current net users have no
> plans to upgrade from their 56K (if that) modems.

Sure, but to make the poll relevant to online gaming (and MUDs), I'd be
interested in knowing what percentage of the people polled were into online
games (and for that matter, what they used the Internet for in general), and
how those two questions correlated.

> I had to give a chuckle at this.  If I had a dollar for every person at
> the GDC that went on about broadband online games, I could wire every
> house in my neighborhood with broadband.  The fact is, most people
> either don't see a need for broadband, or simply won't have access to it
> anytime soon.

I find that hard to believe.  Especially in Urban areas, DSL and Cable areas
are expanding by leaps and bounds.  The thing is, the people who they polled
are likely the same ones who think that AOL *is* the internet.  They don't
understand DSL, they think if they have a Cable modem the won't be able to
have Cable TV (my father), and they saw ISDN and it was just way too
expensive (I pay $3 more/month for DSL access than I did for my 2nd phone
line).  Or, they have a business laptop and therefore must stick with 56k.

I think SBC and other providers simply aren't selling their product very
well to the consumer.

Madrona Tree.