[MUD-Dev] Addressing newbies

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Wed May 17 11:32:31 CEST 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Christopher Allen wrote:
> adam at treyarch.com:
> > Do an archive search for "newbie sword".  I still feel that WoC's newbie
> > sword was the best newbie help I've ever received on a mud, from the system
> > OR a player.
>
> Can you give me more hints on finding this one? Using "newbie & sword" as the
> search parameter gives me over 8 pages of hits.

I meant for "newbie sword" to be a single phrase.  Does the search engine
not support multie-word phrases?

Anyhow, my original post on the subject is here:

http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q3/msg01548.html

Easier still is just to connect to WoC itself:

carnage.labs.emich.edu 4000

Yep, it's still there:

(HP:21 MV:104 MA:54)> wield sword
You arm yourself with a glowing longsword.

(HP:21 MV:104 MA:54)>
A glowing longsword smiles at you.
Your sword says to you 'Hello master, say help if you need my help'.

(HP:21 MV:104 MA:54)>
Your sword says to you, 'If you get too lost, don't be afraid to "recite
recall".'.
A scroll magically appears before you and you pick it up.

Your sword says, 'Behold, the east gate of Elkin!  I am ready to explore!'.

Your sword says, 'My last master was here before, he went to the east.
He said that his adventures to the there were slightly easier.'.

Your sword says, 'This is the perfect spot for novice adventures to hone thier
skills.  We must follow the path to the north!'.

Your sword says, 'Keep it up!  We are winning!!'.

Your sword says 'Yes my friend, you have won this battle.'

Cheesey, but damn, it's just what a newbie needs.

Adam