[MUD-Dev] Addressing newbies

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Mon May 15 17:47:02 CEST 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Powell, Warren wrote:
> Newbie hint system:
>
> [snip]
>
> Does anyobody else have little "giveaway newbie ideas" that they are willing
> to post? I for one would be greatly interested in any other ideas that I can
> chuck in to make their life a little easier.

Do an archive search for "newbie sword".  I still feel that WoC's newbie
sword was the best newbie help I've ever received on a mud, from the system
OR a player.

I think my favorite feature was that it steered you towards newbie areas.
That is, when you came to a crossroads, it would say "The forest to the west
is dangerous, I wouldn't go there until you are stronger" or "There's
a village to the east, we can buy supplies there" etc.

Adam