[MUD-Dev] Alignment

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Wed May 3 16:52:41 CEST 2000

Mordegaard said:
> And yet, there are many cases in fantasy when the young hero(ine) helps the
> evil adversary in their hour of need, remaining pure themselves while
> reducing the emnity of their enemy... for at least a chapter or two.  I
> agree that if someone aids the demon while the paladin is trying to defeat
> it, then their actions are evil, but shouldn't there be some scope for mercy
> (a "good" quality if ever there was one) outside of combat?

It seems to me that mercy is a chaotic form of justice, while law is a more
orderly form of the same.  We could attempt to refine our alignment system by
saying that someone who takes a chaotic approach to ethics might be expected to
show mercy where someone who takes a lawful approach would not.  But as you've
said, this would have limits depending upon the situation.  If the _opportunity_
presents itself in which an individual has the choice of assisting opposing
characters who are facing danger, I would think that a good character would
always choose to help the good character who is in danger at the expense of the
evil.

Eventually, however, we will snag ourselves on the sticky wicket of motive, and
no man can know the heart.  But perhaps we will be closer to where we want to
be.  I think it is important to balance/conjoin any type of mechanical ethical
system which a player-based rating system to arrive as close as possible to a
believable reputation system.  Similarly, to avoid abuse, I think it would be
wise to temper any player-based rating system with a mechanical system.

> P.S.  Incidentally, thanks for all the feedback on this subject, when I
> started it off I hadn't realised there were so many angles to consider!

Thanks for the opportunity to talk about a fascinating subject.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."