[MUD-Dev] Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Tue Mar 28 13:59:54 CEST 2000

Of
> Justin Rogers
> Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 1:34 PM

>     Banning a player does several things.  It causes them to want=20
> to perform actions against your server and your name.  I know I've =
hacked several

This issue is far, far more complex than this.

In a game that provides any degree of PVP -- be it combat, social or =
political -- simple user-based squelching is hideously abusable. =
Furthermore, there are many players who (fairly or unfairly -- I usually =
think it's the latter) would *rather* a disruptive player be banned than =
need to personally squelch them. After all, squelching does nothing for =
what other people see that person doing, and many trouble makers will be =
happy to follow around a squelcher and generally try to make them look =
like an idiot to anyone else who sees.

Another thing I really must take issue with is the idea that my/your =
actions as an administrator will be dictated by the possible actions of =
the player. This is like telling the police not to arrest someone they =
think might become violent (this is a minor exaggeration in the name of =
good hyperbole). This is what computer security is for. This is why you =
don't use a code base with known holes (or leave them).

And as for badmouthing, there isn't a damn thing you can do to prevent =
it. If someone doesn't like your MUD/Product, they're as likely as not =
to take out a www.<yourmudhere>sucks.com address and shout to the =
heavens with doctored capture logs of all the admins raping sheep. This =
isn't something you can prevent. No matter how much admins might wish =
otherwise, they cannot control the behavior of others. Ever.

---

The more interesting issue out of all of this though, is that it raises =
the question of what is the default value of a player?

It's my theory that the default value of any given player varies wildly =
from game to game. It can *never* be the same in a small free MUD as it =
is in a large-scale commercial game. I'd be very interested in seeing =
how admins gauge player value. It's a tricky issue, and it has a great =
deal impact on the quality of management.

-Zak Jarvis
 http://www.voidmonster.com