[MUD-Dev] Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Mon Mar 27 12:21:10 CEST 2000

[Todd Wrote]
> offering in the neighborhood of dozens of warnings and lesser =
punishments
> before using that measure.

    Ok, both yourself and Matthew have responded to this already.  I'm =
not
attacking the use of banning nor am I sanctioning that there aren't =
trouble
makers.  I'm just curious as to how far MUDs have come.  IRL I have had =
put up with a good deal of harrassments, personal threats, and =
inconveniences
against me.  However, most of these were due to someone's personal =
attitude
at that point in time and I was reserved enough to realize that person =
would
not perform or attempt to perform the said actions.
    You mention that you can ban an IP or a subnet, and I've done this =
myself
more in the realms of my Half-Life gameplay server where I don't have a
chance to do anything about the harassing characters.  I can't set per =
player
punishments or anything of that nature.  So a ban is my only resort.  =
However,
if you can ban an IP at the code level then you can also implement a =
holding
tank for players at the IP level.  Throw all the players in a room with =
one
another and let them duke it out, bad mouth one another, fuck around, =
and if
you think one of them has reformed then let him back in the game.
    Don't ban them and get them pissed off at you so they talk trash.  =
Simply
remove them from the game world and give them a place to cool off.  =
They'll
be especially surprised when one of their newbie characters is not =
respawned
in newbie central, but instead directly in the holding tank.

    - Justin Rogers, CEO DigiTec Web Consultants