[MUD-Dev] Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Mon Mar 27 11:22:55 CEST 2000

[Compliments of Matthew Mihally]
> You were banned for repeatedly and willfully ignoring the warnings you
> were given. Paraphrasing what Gordon Walton said at a GDC lecture, =
"Ban
> them by the hundreds." (referring to troublemakers, particularly =
'hardcore
> gamer troublemakers).

     Ok,  What could a single person do that would warrant a ban.  I've =
=3D
 read the many things this particular person has done via his TFC =
memoirs =3D
 or whatever you might call them.  It seems this person spends a bit too =
=3D
 much time online and may take your worlds far to seriously.  Since this =
=3D
 person lives in your world they try to impose changes as they would in =
=3D
 the real world.  They want to make the world you offer them more =3D
 realistic and fair.

      So if this person is doing nothing more than speaking his mind =
then =3D
 maybe your MUD, your programming, or your mind is not ready to accept =
=3D
 the idea that many people regard your MUD as their world now and not as =
=3D
 an escape or past time.  Just as AD&D became lifestyle for many people, =
=3D
 I've seen chatters engross some college students completely.  The =3D
 banning or kicking of their account sends them into utter depression.

      - Justin Rogers, CEO DigiTec Web Consultants