[MUD-Dev] Gamasutra: Online Justice Systems

Dundee SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Thu Mar 23 02:49:04 CET 2000

>From: Matthew Mihaly <diablo at best.com>
>Couldn't you have the client check the computer for multiple characters?
>Then you would nead another ISP, Credit Card, AND computer. Sure, it
doesn't
>solve the problem, but it does make it harder to get arround the rule.

One would think, with commercial applications, the price of admission would
be enough disincentive.  And if not, hey, another $60, eh?

A $60 fine is more than they'd get for most NFL infractions.  Relative to
their (average) salary, anyway.

Wasn't it Raph saying you can't ban people on account of this that and the
other?  Sorry, I missed it, Raph: Can you say again which massively
multiplayer game has banned more people than any other?  And then say again
why you can't on account of it doesn't work? :-P

Anyway, apart from all that, "banning" is just "character deletion" - which
we can cheerfully refer to as "just character deletion" because everyone on
this list can make whateverlevel characters we want in about 2 keystrokes.
It's a more serious issue for most people, on most games.  Even if it
doesn't cost $60 on top of that.

I ban people and turn a blind eye if they "sneak back in" (even without the
$60).  It seems to work:  They act right the second go-around.   Not so for
other people?