[MUD-Dev] Mud Network Setup

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Fri Mar 3 12:08:55 CET 2000

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Eli Stevens (Grey) wrote:
> As I understand the setup, the 768/128 is shared, so during busy times we do
> not get the full rate.

I don't know if GTE does it differently from the other DSL providers,
but my understanding is that 768/128 is *guarenteed* bandwidth, but you
may get more than this in bursts, when the network is less busy, or simply
as a result of being closer to the DSL switch.

This is what, IMO, makes DSL superior to a cable modem (especially for
server tasks): despite being an order of magnitude slower on the low end,
the bandwidth is always there, steady as a rock.  Cable modems can get
very bad during the day.

Adam

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu