[MUD-Dev] Processor Usage

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Mar 3 10:27:30 CET 2000

On Fri, 03 Mar 2000 02:04:13 -0500
Christopher Kohnert <cjkohner at brain.uccs.edu> wrote:

> Am I simply missing something, or do all these engines that report
> low processor usage (5-10% peak) not have a pseudo-real-time event
> scheduling mechanism?  I can sleep, waiting for both events and
> input from sockets, and not get it to drop below an average of
> 80%.  Does anyone have any ideas as to how other systems can claim
> these low usages?  No, I don't have any specific examples, (I
> can't remember them) I've just seen them float by on messages here
> and there, reporting this wonderful feat.

I suspect something is wrong with your load average reporting, you
are mis-interpreting what you are seeing, or you are really not
blocking as much as you think you are.

A process which is blocking on all threads should consume no CPU and
be swapped out.  Block timeouts (eg poll()) will keep a process from
being entirely swapped out, but should still not hit system load
more than a nibble.

Something else is going on.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu