[MUD-Dev] MUDLinux v0.5

David Wruck mirloc at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 30 06:17:08 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 8:01 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] MUDLinux v0.5

> I'm not sure why I'm surprised:
>
>   http://mujweb.cz/www/vladon/
>
> --<cut>--
> MUDLinux is minidistribution of LINUX containing (a) running Circle
> MUDServer.
> --<cut>--

    When I first opened this, I kinda snickered, and laughed.

    Then I started to REALLY think about it, and the concept (not slapping a
CircleMUD over a minimalistic Linux distribution), but rather removing all
elements that really are not required from the server component of the
servers.

    Let's use an example:

    Windows NT Server 4.0 with service packs installs about 400-500MB worth
of stuff onto the drive. Add to this any software you want, and a typical
installation of NT Server will run into the 1.5GB fairly soon.* RAM-wise, NT
Server does not come into it's own until it has about 64MB free for the OS,
so a minimal 128MB for any low-end server is highly required, more for
purposes like MMORPGs. So more like half a gig or so of RAM.

    What if you trimed out the unnecessary elements of the operating system
(Ok, it's a game server, but does it REALL need Pinball?) and the tools that
few (if any) people use, the necessisty of adding a defrag software, etc to
the mix, placing the whole thing on less than 5MB of hard drive space for
the OS, heck, you could RAMDISK the OS and gain unheardof increases in core
OS level instructions. Now keeping in mind you are going for mininmal core
OS, you'd probably be compiling on another server (running the same kernel
level etc) so only the actual running code would be available on the
minimalistic server. This would leave a heafty chunk of your half-gig of RAM
and multi processor system to be nothing more than game.

    I really think this guy is on to something, if you look past the rather
limited first attempt. Windows 3.0 was a joke (barely better than GeoWorks),
and look where we are now....

    David Wruck