[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying in Muds

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 29 10:09:45 CEST 2000

Personally, my ultimate test of "good" roleplaying is... would the
player make the character do something that the player knows will
very likely be detrimental to her (ie. attacking the huge dragon,
unarmed, because it ate her parents) because that is what the (not
very rational) character would do in that situation.

Would the character not pick up the platinum bars because the character
wouldn't know they were valuable, when the player knows they'd purchase
a nice piece of land, etc.

Of course, this is relatively easy to judge in tabletop roleplaying, but
I haven't yet thought of a way to make a MUD automatically detect this
and reward it. I'm not even sure it's possible to sensibly reward in a
computer game.

- Colin