[MUD-Dev] Polling the users

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Tue Jun 27 16:46:25 CEST 2000

I don't know if this is really appropriate for the MUD-Dev.  I guess if you
are reading this, then it is.

I have a private uo-emulator server that's been up for all of about 10
months now.  I polled the users asking why they play on a private server
rather than on OSI's servers.  These were the results:

More/better features than OSI  			30  	16.95%
More responsive admins/"customer service"  	29  	16.38%
I hate PKing  (non-consensual PvP)		24  	13.56%
I like the smaller playerbase  			22  	12.43%
To get away from OSI  				17  	9.60%
Fewer bugs than OSI  				16  	9.04%
To get away from OSI's customers  		14  	7.91%
I play where my friends are  				10  	5.65%
Less lag than OSI  					8  	4.52%
Other  							7  	3.95%

I'm not really sure how to read it, in terms of whether it's just rating
our strengths (and weaknesses), or their actual preferences.  "Less lag"
for example, is true most of the time now, but hasn't been the case for
weeks.  I expected that to rate dead last.  "To get away from OSI" is just
a gratuitous slam at OSI customer service (I would have though, but fewer
people picked it).

"I play where my friends are" scored a lot lower than I would have
expected, though.  I guess if we had the types of users who rated that as
being more important, then they'd still be on OSI.  Same for the "I hate
PKing" responses.

So, question:  What is a useful user-poll, what sorts of questions?  Are
they useful for anything?

--
  http://home.swbell.net/skeptack/