[MUD-Dev] A Replacement for Telnet

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Tue Jun 27 02:04:58 CEST 2000

After getting in a totally pointless argument about why I think MXP is garbage,
I started to think about what a real solution would look like. And I came up
with the following thoughts:

	It should bootstrap from a telnet session, so that it can
		support telnet clients transparently.
	It should be able to map most vt100/ansi codes to something
		useful, to ease transition on the server side.

Architecturally, I lean towards using the following:

	Telnet, stripped down, as message and control channels. I would
	strip it down to simplify the telnet parser and state machine,
	since terminal-level control (ie presentation) will be deferred
	to the layer that actually parses the messages.

	Xml for the message structure and xsl for the message presentation.
	I suppose both of these might be stripped down a bit for bandwidth
	conservation.

	And optionally, Xforms (stripped down?), to seperate data from
	logic (and presentation).

Of these, minimizing telnet and parsing xml seem the best understood. The xsl
spec is pretty far along, so I think that that part is also doable, albeit much
more difficult.

Now the big question: is there any interest?