[MUD-Dev] using DB to store game state

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jun 27 00:15:19 CEST 2000

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:58:52 -0500
Eli Stevens <wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com> wrote:

> From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at cp.net>

>> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:21:14 -0500 Eli Stevens
>> <wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com> wrote:

>> Yup.  You might like to examine the previous list traffic on my
>> dispatchor/executor/thread_pool model I used for Murkle as the
>> area of failing events and their proper handling was well
>> examined (tho "failing" was defined differently than
>> "crashing")..

> Threading was one of those things that I considered using for the
> project, but I decided that I should stay away from for now
> because of the difficulty/effort in making it work correctly.

Understood, There are design considerations in that model which
apply to a single-threaded polling setup, which is why I recommended
the area.  The whole area of event rescheduling for instance applies
directly given the cooperative multi-tasking setup which is normally
implied by a single polling loop for the server.  Also the area of
command parsing and scheduling as part of the basic event processing
schema, and the trade-offs made for and against that apply.

>> Have a look at the approach the Texas Persistent Store takes via
>> Pointer Swizzling.  I doubt that you really want to get involved
>> in Pointer Swizzling with MetaKit (on quick glance it takes a
>> different tack), but the approach that Texas' took for cacheing
>> the working set are pretty good.

> I have been searching the web for info on Texas, and everything I
> have found that promises any level of detail points to
> ftp.cs.utexas.edu, which is not currently accepting (my, at least)
> FTP connections.

Try connecting via a non IE or Netscape client.

> I have sent an email to utexas.edu, but I have no idea if they
> will be able to help.

They've never answreed my messages (some of which were copied to
this list and were thus archived).

> Does anyone know of/have local copies of information on the Texas
> Persistent Store?

If you continue to have trouble, drop me a note off-list and I'll
mirror it.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu