[MUD-Dev] Acting casual about casual gamers

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Mon Jun 26 18:28:01 CEST 2000

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:45:55 -0400
rayzam  <rayzam at home.com> wrote:

>     As for this, I instituted rumors. Citizens of the various
> towns in the mud, all inherit a base citizen code, which includes
> rumors. There are 3 styles of rumors: high level rumors (about the
> mud in general, hidden areas, etc), area level rumors (any area
> coded can add rumors as appropriate), and player rumors (players
> can go to various places that are appropriate as rumor mills, like
> a pub, and start their own rumor).  The first two never time out
> and don't have maximums. The player rumors have random turnover,
> both to keep the sheer number down, and to keep them fresh.  The
> citizens when hanging out, can sometimes pass a rumor to someone
> else around them.  Works pretty well, though none of it is as
> detailed as a spoiler site.

I spent quite a while trying to construct an effective automated
rumour system (where the system would detect, create, creatively
mutate/degrade over time, and finally kill rumours) that was
discussed here on the list.  With a bit of searching you should be
able to find the discussion in the archives.

Note:  For those reading messages written via the web archives
(which works very nicely now), messages written from the web
archives come with an X-Original-Message: header which points back
to the message being replied to.  Among other reasons this is put
there to make it easy to go back to the original thread.

<<Now I think of it, I should also copy this data into the top of
the message proper for easy reference>>

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...