[MUD-Dev] Hunting mobs vs Economy (was Advancement considered harmful (long))

Chris Jacobson fear at technologist.com
Sun Jun 25 23:11:55 CEST 2000

On 6/25/00 7:45 PM, Jeremy Hovance (jhovance at cscc.edu) stated:

>Kill monster, get gold or item. Click on screen twenty times to "mine" for
>gold, repeat until enough gold is collected. Use craft skill twenty times
>to create craft good and raise skill. It's all the very same thing.
>Positive reinforcement works great for getting anyone to do one thing,
>like hunting mobs ir churning out items but the reinforcement stops there.
>If you expect people to take it a step further and actually compete in an
>economic market, there needs to be a further inducement.

In an SWR game I played a while back, one player was quite efficient at
making items to order, and became a one man company, which he eventually
expanded.  He would teach others the craft skills in return for working
for him for a bit, and afterwards many stayed on and he formed a company.
 Eventually they had some players working as merchants and taking orders,
delivering, and some security - a 15 or so player-run company producing
quality goods.

The Empire didn't like that they were a free market enterprise and tried
to bully them into producing goods solely for them.  I think thats how
the Emporer (and his next three successors) met their untimely deaths.  A
few well trained assassin players do wonders for a million credits.

In an RP game with permadeath, skills become a commodity, and where Eq
can be damaged or destroyed, it becomes an important commodity as well,
especially if Quality stuff must be produced by skilled player
characters, who know what the true value of their goods is.

- Chris Jacobson