[MUD-Dev] Games vs. simulations

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Jun 14 17:56:23 CEST 2000

"Brandon J. Rickman" wrote:

> We have the same ads now, but instead of the pen-and-ink style, the
> figures are constructed out of textured polygons.  And it is made quite
> obvious: you see sharp edges around the cleavage, angular faces, shading
> errors.  Think Lara Croft vs. Jessica Rabbit.

I think Lara Croft is just plain ridiculous. But I'd sure as hell take
Nell McAndrew home with me, given half a chance.

> - Is this an intentional denial of the Photoshop aesthetic, a refusal to
> make the image neat and clean?  Does bad art sell more games?

I don't think so. However, there is a certain "techno" art movement that
apparently views these "flaws" as elements of a specific style. One
might also point at anime and observe that all of the women have legs
far too long and eyes far too large to be anything close to realistic;
but these decisions, like the four-fingered characters in many cartoons,
are deliberate and done for a purpose.

> - Is this supposed to be a reminder of the digital nature of these
> characters, that they are completely artificial fantasy women?  Not
> just artificial, but created with computer technology.

Ahh, here we find a potential OTHER interpretation: not "these women are
not real", but "these women are not threatening". A two-dimensional pen
and ink woman is inferior to a three-dimensional rendered woman, so the
rendered version wins out -- but both of them share the quality of being
make-believe, and therefore non-threatening.

> - Is it supposed to demonstrate the sophistication of the 3d rendering
> engine?  This is seemingly contradictory, because the bad rendering
> reveals the poor "photorealism" of the actual product.

I cannot count the number of times I've heard players complain that the
game's graphics don't look *anything* like the picture on the box.
Traditionally, people have tried to make the game more like the
pictures, but it does seem that people today have decided to go the
route of making the pictures more like the game.

> - Perhaps the programmers have taken over the marketing, and simply don't
> know what they are doing.

Marketers know what they're doing?

News to me. ;)