[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #131 - 23 msgs

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Mon Jun 12 19:45:30 CEST 2000

> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:42:11 -0700
> From: J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu>
> Subject: [MUD-Dev] Report: MUD-Dev dinner of 10 June 2000
>
> Topics mentioned in no other order than my failing memories burps
> follow.
>
>   What is really going on with Furcadia?

Y'all coulda just asked, ya know.  :X)

>   How people fail to keep up with MUD-Dev traffic, how they handle that,

Boy I'll say.  "Not posting" and "only browsing the messages when I have
time, and/or the digest isn't too long, or if a really interesting sounding
subject pops up" are about what I have to do on my schedule.  I do look for
messages by Raph sometimes when I have time to browse, but only because I'm
too busy to call or go out to dinner with him like I should.  Somebody needs
to tell him how important it is to grab the Star Wars title instead of doing
some other game at Verant, and why.

*-------------------------------------------**-----------------------------*
   Dr. Cat / Dragon's Eye Productions       ||       Free alpha test:
*-------------------------------------------**   http://www.furcadia.com
    Furcadia - a graphic mud for PCs!       ||  Let your imagination soar!
*-------------------------------------------**-----------------------------*

Ok, ok.  There's a contract with Mplayer for Furcadia, but I have zero time
to work on getting the server in shape to handle many thousands of
simultaneous users, getting ad banners into the www.furcadia.com web site,
etc.  Mplayer hasn't gotten me the HTML to insert to run the ads and make a
little money anyway, but I can't complain since I drag my heels as much as
them.  We have a cabbit from Canada messing with the web page stuff and a
fox from Finland who's going to come to Texas for two months to work on
programming some new client and server stuff and try to get Furcadia
ship-shape enough to get on Mplayer at last.

Me, I'm at an Internet startup doing games, activities, animated stories,
and online community for 3-10 year old kids, with some animators formerly
from Disney, Warner Brothers, Fox, etc.  The online community will be based
on the Furcadia engine, the licensing fee I asked for (and got) is that
Dragon's Eye gets the rights to use any of the code developed here to
complete, improve or extend the engine.  I have a bunch of stock options and
life looks pretty good.  I feel totally free to say all this stuff, because
NDAs suck and are mostly pointless.  A startup like this one BENEFITS from
people talking about it more.  By the way there's going to be job openings
for game artists here soon, and we might be able to squeeze in one more
programmer.

I still think most of the developers, commercial and hobbyist alike, are
still totally missing the boat about what the majority of human beings would
like to do in an online environment.  But that's ok, given that it seems to
take me years to get anything really important done - maybe that means I
still have a chance to be first with the Big Hit Product.  :X)

   Dr. Cat / Dragon's Eye Productions       ||       Free alpha test: