Backstory (was RE: [MUD-Dev] New poll)

Raph Koster rkoster at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 10 16:21:50 CEST 2000

Technically, the novel is only a few centuries old. The earliest examples of
the form are epistolary novels, Cervantes, and so on.

The short story is definitely not the original narrative. That credit likely
belongs to epic poems, which took poetic form so that narratives could be
more easily remembered. Many of the epic poems have characteristics of the
novel, among them the Gilgamesh epic and the Iliad (thoug hnot so much the
Odyssey).

Plays also predate the short story, and they definitely have more novelistic
characteristics (multiple main characters and plot threads, etc.

Technically speaking movies tend to have most in common structurally with
the novelette, a publishing category determined by word length, but which is
a proto-novelistic form.

-Raph