[MUD-Dev] Multiplayer definition (was: Birthday Cake)

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jun 9 20:20:36 CEST 2000

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Brian Green wrote:

> I actually loathed the original Gamasutra article when I read it.  I
> thought it was terribly shallow.  The bulk of the article focused on a
> deeply flawed model, as other people have pointed out.  Thankfully, he
> didn't make it monthly as threatened.

Agreed. I couldn't believe it was published. I read it and thought, "Who
agreed to publish this guy?"

> I think cooperative multiplayer is just as valid as competitive
> multiplayer.  This is something I like to harp on. :)  Too many people
> instantly exclude cooperative play for whatever reason.  Although
> cooperative play tends to limit interaction through game mechanics, it
> is more conductive to interaction outside the game mechanics.  When not
> worried about giving the other player an advantage or trying to overcome
> their interaction via game mechanics, people tend to be more social.  Of
> course, there's always the compromise of team-orientated play.

Cooperative multiplayer against the game is only half of what I consider
true multiplayer experience to be. Cooperative multiplayer against other
groups of cooperative players is what I consider real multiplayer games to
be.

--matt