[MUD-Dev] Responsibility for users (was: Birthday Cake (or Why Large ScaleSometimes Sucks) (long) )

Batir batir at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 8 15:07:20 CEST 2000

This is pretty much a reply to everyone on this thread.  It's my thoughts on
the whole matter.

I'm a player, and I am one who spends quite a bit of time either playing my
chosen game, or working on a website dedicated to that game.  I don't hold
Raph responsible for my playing a lot.  If it wasn't his (ex)game, it'd be
another, and if it wasn't a MMORPG it'd be standalone games, and if it
weren't computer games it'd be RPG games or TV, or fantasy books (the list
goes on and on).

Most of my friends, well, I've never met them, except on ICQ and email.  I
prefer it that way.  I don't think the developers hold the ultimate
responsibility for my addictions.  I don't think Philip Morris holds the
ultimate responsibility for my smoking.  I choose both of them.  I chose to
keep doing them both.  My house still gets cleaned.  I find time to bathe
daily.  I still have my job.

If you want to hold yourselves responsible, so be it.  A rather simple way
around it, is to completely leave it in players hands.  Allow players to
lock themselves out of the games on certain date, or even certain times of
the day.  Allow them to limit their weekly hours.  Allow tracking of how
long they have been online in the game for the week.  At that point, not
only do they have the option to quit, they can set what ever limits they
want, and see how much time they are really in the game.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Batir,
Strat's & Stat's, UOSS
http://uo.stratics.com