[MUD-Dev] Birthday Cake (or Why Large Scale Sometimes Sucks)(long)

AR Schleicher ars at iag.net
Tue Jun 6 15:19:55 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Wes Connell <wconnell at skotos.net>
> I remember when the green lich Jounar was attacking Trinsic. These 'orcs'
> appeared and attempted to help Jounar take Trinsic. Journar was controlled
> by a seer so Jounar himself did not attack the 'orcs', but the
> uncontrolled undead army still considered these 'orcs' as players.

It's a shame there's no way to do this at present...  Juonar could have used
more effective allies in that battle. :)  I think it's a nice idea, but
tough to do well.  Basically, you need a way to somehow mark players, so
that for a specific period of time, when they are in a specific location,
monsters leave them alone (or even help them).  Even then, I think there's
still too many problems waiting to happen.  Say for instance, you mark a
number of players, and then they decide to betray you, how do you quickly
(ideally automatically) deal with the traitors while not also harming those
who are still loyal to your cause?

Someone is going to come up with a solution some day though, I think.
You'll have the chance to join one of two (or more) sides in a massive
battle where the results have significant meaning in the real world.  A
scenario I'd love to see:  Kingdom A and B are at war, and there's a massive
battle coming up.  Each side gathers armies, and recruits the locals as
well. The player becomes a normal soldier under a low level officer.  In
battle, the officer falls, and it is up to the player to take charge, rally
the small group of troops that were under the officer, and keep the line of
battle from breaking there.  Do well, and you can press deeper into the
enemy line, earning honor and glory (at increased risk to yourself, or
course).   Do poorly, or run away, and be known as a coward or deserter
even.

AR Schleicher (Jerrith)
ars at iag.net