[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jun 4 20:42:21 CEST 2000

<<Originally off-list, posted to the list with Brian's permission>>

On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:12:34 -0700
Brian Green <brian at psychochild.org> wrote:

> J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Writing as list owner:
>>
>> There's a fine line of on-topic we've been treading closely on
>> both sides of for a while now.  On the one side there are valid
>> game design concerns, and there are techniques which may help us
>> feel comfortable, or even willing to be responsible for our
>> creations.  On the other side are some fairly amorphous
>> philosophical debates, and arguments on definitions of social
>> responsibility among other things.  Let's keep this thread to the
>> on-topic side, on the game side.

> Writing as list subscriber: (*grin*)

<kof>

> I was wondering if you could expand your thoughts as to why
> talking about social responsibilities is "off topic".

Writing as list owner below:

  There's a very hairy line there.  Immediately prior to writing
that I'd turned back a number of posts which more of less ran to,
"Is Jack Daniels responsible for alcolohism?".  I consider that off
topic as per the list charter.  Now rephrasing that to something
like the below puts the cant back towards the central topic and I'd
consider it on-topic:

    A small percentage of our players will abuse our games, here's
    what I think about that, and here are some ideas of mine for
    what I might do about it as a game designer/implementor.

  Selection of viewpoint can be all the difference.

  I'll freely admit its an arguable value judgement, and one I try
to apply on a message by message basis.  The intent of the post was
simply to a) give me less work to do (I'm lazy), and b) give the
membership a little nudge toward considering the list in their posts
again.

  That said, I should probably editorialise a bit.

  The intent is NOT to gag the membership.  I'm not in an ivory
tower.

  If any list member feels that something should be posted, no
matter what I may have written on the area previously, they should
post it.  If I reject a post that they consider should have gone
thru, they should query me.  There are prior cases of members
persuading me to post something I'd previously rejected, and in at
least two cases I can think of, I've been very glad I've changed my
mind.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu