[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Sat Jun 3 19:51:17 CEST 2000

Raph Koster wrote:
> Ordinarily I'd appreciate the compliment, but this guy needs help and I
> don't think I want his compliment. He's way off the curve for UO players,
> btw, who average 1/4 of that much time (average of 20 hours a week for both
> UO and EQ players, give or take an hour or two. I don't have figures for
> Asheron's Call. Anyone track this for their muds?).

Simutronic's said in Inc. magazine last november
<http://www.incmagazine.com/articles/details/0,3532,ART14255_CNT53,00.html> that
the average number of hours for all games was 38 hours, but one game, Dragon
Realms, averaged over 77 hours a month.

If 77 is average, I wonder what the top edge of the bell curve is like.

Of course, both of Simutronics major games were optimized for players to waste
time online as they were created when they charged hourly fees.

.. Christopher Allen                                 Skotos Tech Inc. ..
..                           1512 Walnut St., Berkeley, CA 94709-1513 ..
.. <http://www.Skotos.net>               o510/647-2760  f510/647-2761 ..