[MUD-Dev] Thoughts about smarter Sims

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 2 17:06:07 CEST 2000

Mordengaard wrote:

> Uh-huh... I was thinking of implementing more intelligent NPCs on my MUD...
> I've just about got a few mobs working using the feed/fight/mate system of
> drives, but what you're doing here seems (to me) to be of another order of
> magnitude altogether.  Is there an "AI for Dummies" that I should be looking
> at before I can grasp half of what you've covered here?

Well at my web page below I've got a section of links under
General Developent / AI.   The most interesting one is the Hitch-
Hiker's Guide to Evolutionary Computing which is a massive page
of links to many things.  "Autonomous Agents" is a good search
engine keyword.  I'll try to update my links page with goodies.

I do believe the Neural Net path is not necessarily the way to go
here.  Theoretically, the process of classification of context from
a host of inputs is an ideal problem for NN.  However there is much
voodoo, many mumbling incantations and rocket science involved in
coming up with sets of training data that will result in any sort
of sensical output.  And frankly, part of the reason has to do with
me (Algebra-man) possessing just enough mathematical brain watts to
know that NN has got me licked.  I've waded through intro books
and examples.  Coding a net is simple.  Making it work correctly or
at all in new and strange problems is simply beyond my ken.  YMMV.

So I've had better success treating the problem as one statistical
analysis, approaching the problem as a Vegas gambler might.
I find Use Cases...umm useful.  Every "what if situation" requires
several probable responses.  Now you _can_ code all this straight
into reams of code.  Procedural reasoning systems are basically just
processors of templates that allow you to avoid writing a lot of one
shot non-reusable code.  The codify the decision process, you supply
the data and probabilities.  As the number of inputs (context) goes
up, I suspect they get less attractive, but then hand-coding special
procedures (like mobprogs) gets exponentially unattractive.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--