[MUD-Dev] Thoughts about smarter Sims

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Thu Jun 1 15:54:24 CEST 2000

Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> I'm still working on the documentation.  :-(
>
> Nevertheless...
> This is a sample PLAN.
>
> PLAN rats_feed
>   CONTEXT
>      this.hungry = true;  // Using variable deined on object
>      this.attacked = false
>   ENDCONTEXT
>   BODY
>      EXECUTE this.find_food();  // message to self
>      if (this.hungry == false)
>        ACHIEVE rats_feed;
>      else
>        CONTINUE rats_feed;
>      endif
>   ENDBODY
> ENDPLAN
>
> And a simple RULES definition
>
> RULE rats_rule
>   MODEL rat_model;
>   INIT
>     PLAN rats_feed PRIORITY 5;
>     PLAN rats_reproduce PRIORITY 5;
>     PLAN rats_flee PRIORITY 1;
>   ENDINIT
>   EVAL
>     if (this.room.contains(objtype(cat)))
>       PLAN rats_flee PRIORITY +5;
>     endif
>     if (this.attack)
>       PLAN rats_defend PRIORITY +5;
>     endif
>     if (critical_population)  // see rats_model
>       PLAN rats_reproduce PRIORITY +2;
>     endif
>   ENDEVAL
> ENDRULE

This reminded me very much of an article I read recently.  After some searching, I
was able to relocate the article.  It is entitled "A Modular Framework for
Artificial Intelligence Based on Stimulus Response Directives," and was written by
Charles Guy.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991110/guy_01.htm

I wondered whether or not you were familiar with the article.  I found it
fascinating.

Also, what happens if this.room.contains(objtype(really_cute_rat)) /*OK...this is
hypothetical*/ and this.room.contains(objtype(hunk_of_cheese)) and rats_feed and
rats_reproduce are at the exact same priority level?  Will this lead to a
Capt-Kirk-like logic problem in which rats_self_destruct is initiated?  Just
wondering.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."