[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying in Muds

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Wed Jul 26 16:00:04 CEST 2000

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 09:17:13PM +0300, Solmyr of the Azure Star wrote:
> Josh Anderson wrote:
> >
> > I'm probably the only one left, but I'm still a big proponent of the 'muds
> > are for mudding, chat rooms/ICQ/AIM/whatever for chatting' concept that (as
> > a newcomer to the list) I'm sure has been brought up before.  I don't run a
> > mud so that people can talk about football or movies.  IMO nothing hurts RP
> > more than OOC talking about things like game mechanics or levels, especially
> > over a public channel.  Maybe that's just me.
> >
> I agree with the above absolutely. In a RP mud prohibiting any talk
> about game mechanics is probably essential. While other OOC chat may be
> okay, it should probably be restricted to certain rooms or channels
> (which can be tuned out by players who don't want to listen to it).

It been said here a few times, that if you don't supply your community with
ways to communicate, then your players will do so outside of your game.

I'll restate that: If you prohibit certain types of communication in your game,
then your players will find a way around it.
Question: How do you communicate bugs if game mechanics are prohibited?

I can't believe that all/most/some players of RP MUDs don't "cheat" with IM,
"illegal" websites, etc.

I'm probably a god awful RPer in the eyes of some hardcore RPers but I don't
like to stay IC 100% of the time. It's too much work! :)

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.