[MUD-Dev] SQL and Muds

Nathan Clemons nathan at windsofstorm.net
Tue Jul 25 08:23:46 CEST 2000

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:27:27 -0700
> Jeremy Noetzelman <jjn at peoplelink.com> wrote:
>
> > I've searched the archives, but haven't come up with any solid
> > leads on using a SQL database (MySQL, msql, or PostgresSQL) with a
> > mud.
>
> I've just found out this is a weakness of UdmSearch: It doesn't do
> wildcard or sub-string searching but instead only does whole word
> matching.  ie searching for "SQL" will not match "MySQL".  Searching
> for "MySQL" returns 96 matches, several of which you may find
> useful.
>
> Aside: I think UdmSearch can be taught to do sub-word matching
> without excessive effort.  I'll check into it.  If not, I'll add a
> note to the help text stating this limitation.

You can probably get around this by either passing the string from the
form padded with leading and trailing %'s, or noting that the % sign is a
SQL wildcard, since you're using MySQL.

> > I'm writing up a new base, and am considering using one of the
> > above for storage of area/zone information, pfiles, as well as
> > other various bits and pieces.
>
> There are several servers out there currently which run more or less
> entirely off SQL backends (eg Moebius).  Happily most of their
> authors are represented on the list.

This is actually something I'm looking at doing myself. Long term, I want
to make my CircleMUD backend different pieces into an SQL DB. Has anyone
here taken an existing code base like one of the Diku derivatives and
moved it into a SQL DB store?

Some of the new additions I am putting directly into the DB, eg., my note
system that is mostly ported from ROM, the bank system I am going to be
writing, etc.

--
Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan at windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688