[MUD-Dev] Re: Scaling a world.

David Bennett ddt at discworld.atuin.net
Mon Jul 24 16:08:05 CEST 2000

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Patrick Dughi wrote:

> 	Of course, it seems silly to end up saving this level of detail
> for each room in the system.  I'm open to suggestions, but the best I
> could get was a sort of hash of the coordinates having some influence.

Seeded psuedo random number generators.  This is exactly how we do it on
dw.  Use the co-ordinate as the seed and then randomly generate a series of
numbers for the room.  The numbers will be repeatably the same based on a
fixed seed.  If you choose your psuedo random number generator will it
still looks pretty random too.

Randomly appearing in random places,
David.