[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Mon Jul 24 15:10:47 CEST 2000

I happen to think all three positions here are wrong. Whoo hoo!

First off, my principle of social design is that a society can support a
degree of democracy in inverse proportion to its size. Small groups can't
afford to be very democratic, large groups can.

As for running the small ones, I subscribe very, very heavily to the
Machiavelli school of social management.

When he said, "Surround yourself by the best advisers and tacticians,
listen to them carefully and then make your own choice." he was *not*
telling you to pretend to listen and then ignore people. He was saying
listen to the best people in their fields, try to understand them and then
make decisions based on what you think is best. Simply put; Be a Leader.

The Prince was not about dishonesty or despotism. It was about politically
functional honesty (to coin a fun phrase) and benign social engineering. Of
course, lest you get an overly warm and fuzzy view it's worth noting that
the term Machiavelli used which is usually translated in english to 'The
People' actually referenced a specific, semi-privileged class (or so I've
been told by someone who ought to know).

-Zak Jarvis
 "John is very excited about his teeth."
 http://www.voidmonster.com