[MUD-Dev] Modelling combat

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Mon Jul 24 14:13:52 CEST 2000

Adam wrote:
> Most of my mud coder career has been spent trying to create a combat
> system that will duplicate my favorite encounters in movies like the Princess
> Bride and Ninja Scroll.

Yes, who could forget an encounter like the following:

*****

Inigo:  You seem a decent fellow...I hate to kill you.
Man in black: You seem a decent fellow...I hate to die.
Inigo: [confidently] Begin.

[Slowly, a great battle ensues. Inigo tests the Man in black, and the Man in
black tests Inigo. They continue to battle on.]

Inigo: You are using Bonetties Defense against me, ah?
Man in black: I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.
Inigo: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack with Capa Fero?
Man in black: Naturally...but I find that Tibal cancels out Capa Fero. Don't
you?
Inigo: Unless the enemy has studied his Agliepa...which I have.

[They continue to exchange attacks and parries]

Inigo: You are wonderful!
Man in black: Thank you. I've worked hard to become so.
Inigo: I admit it, you are better than I am.
Man in black: Then why are you smiling?
Inigo: Because I know something you don't know.
Man in black: And what is that?
Inigo: [switching hands] I am not left-handed!

[Inigo switches to his right hand, and appears to overwhelm the Man in black]

Man in black: You're amazing!
Inigo: I ought to be after twenty years.
Man in black: [struggling to keep Inigo away] There's something I ought to tell
you.
Inigo: Tell me!
Man in black: I'm not left-handed either.

[The Man in black switches to his right hand, and performs a few amazing feats]
[They stop fencing for a brief moment]

Inigo: [in awe] Who are you?
Man in black: No one of consequence.
Inigo: I must know.
Man in black: Get used to disappointment.
Inigo: [disappointed] Okay...

*****

In a vain attempt to keep this on-topic, I think that any combat system capable
of capturing the essence of the preceding will be wildly successful.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."