[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying in Muds

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Mon Jul 24 11:41:27 CEST 2000

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 05:05:56PM +0300, Solmyr of the Azure Star wrote:
> Ben wrote:
> >
> > The actual removal of levels doesn't increase Roleplaying, however by
> > making the game more realistic it allows for the player to get a better
> > sense of the reality his/her player is living in.  For instance I doubt a
> > knight in medieval England ever asked an enemy knight what level he was, to
> > see if he could beat him.
> >
> You are right, however in a true roleplaying MUD a player would not be
> asking questions like that even if there were levels. All you have to do
> is limit OOC/game mechanics talk, and perhaps prohibit questions like
> the above altogether. Eliminating the finger command or reducing the
> information it gives would also help. In short, remove any indications
> of how powerful in terms of level someone is.

A few years ago, I tried Threshold.  As a newbie there I was completly lost, as
in geography and how the game worked.  I had a question, that the docs either
glossed over, weren't clear, or missing.  I asked my question on either the ooc
or heritage channel, and got my head chewed off.  Restricting communications,
IMHO, is limiting your game to a niche. (That's not nessariarily a bad thing.)
I left soon after that.

I'm nitpicking a bit, but I was hurt/pissed when that happened. Threshold seemed
like a neat game.

My point is sometimes I don't want to role play. I want to chit-chat about
something in the real world with other players in the game.

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.