[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Jul 23 13:09:48 CEST 2000

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Sat 22 Jul, KevinL wrote:
> >   darius at both.net.au wrote:

> > Well, yes... Majority rule isn't 100% successful--of course, many people
> > worldwide would love to hear about any superior alternatives :)

The reason why what we call democracy works is that it gives nobody enough
power  that their mistakes really mess up the system.  Dictators and other
absolute rulers do have that kind of power.  E.g.  if the president of the
USA declares that all dogs should be killed, he will be put out of office.
If a dictator declares the same, people will start shooting all dogs. In a
mud the same is true.  The mud admin has absolute power,  and his mistakes
will kill off his mud.  In contrast  a player does not have that amount of
power over the mud. In PK muds on the other hand  powerful players have an
almost absolute power over weaker players, and their decisions can destroy
a mud (by driving other players away).

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,