[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #163 - 25 msgs

KevinL darius at bofh.net.au
Sat Jul 22 14:29:59 CEST 2000

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 05:18:54PM -0700, Tamzen Cannoy wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry, but a stupid person cannot convincingly play a genius. If
> > you don't got things like diplomacy and tact in RL, you aren't gonna
> > be a very convincing ambassador. Etc. You gotta work with what you
> > got.

Just as an aside on this thread, the one game I've played recently that really
made me feel like I was playing a character with different mental abilities to
my own was Planescape: Torment.  Takes a while to roll into the game, and it
may help that my SO and I play these side-by-side, so we got to compare - the
reactions and interactions between yourself as main char and the people around
you are quite heavily different depending on how you develop your stats - give
the char more wisdom, and a whole bunch more conversation options open out,
give him more charisma and you get better initial reactions, etc.  The same
seems to apply to alignment and guild - so you really get a feeling of "if I
play this way, the NPC's actually react to me playing this way".

Not the be-all and end-all of char development, but it was good enough to hook
me ;)  I'd recommend it to anyone trying to build a "char different to player"
setup, if only for seeing _how_ they've approached it - it's probably not too
applicable to online/multi-user gaming, but ti's still interesting.

KevinL
(besides that, it was a fun game to play ;)