[MUD-Dev] Modelling combat

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Tue Jul 18 11:03:35 CEST 2000

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Travis Casey wrote:
> Friday, July 14, 2000, 12:16:06 PM, Vladimir Prelovac <tomcat at galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:
> > For example if you look at two very powerful and skillful characters engaged
> > in combat, it may last for very long time with both of them dodging and
> > parrying other person's blows until they both fall to the ground exhausted
> > (a combat in "Red Sonia" movie betwee Arnold and the girl comes to my mind).
>
> Comment:  movie combats are not a good place to look to see how real
> combat works.  Now, for a mud, you're probably more interested in
> making it "seem right" than *be* right, so movie combats can be good
> examples, but I just wanted to point that out, since a paragraph
> before you were talking about how real combat works.

I think the reason that I find myself more interested in modeling movie
combat is that I want it to be fun, exciting, and light-hearted, rather
than a true-to-life depiction of people trying to kill each other.

Most of my mud coder career has been spent trying to create a combat
system that will duplicate my favorite encounters in movies like the Princess
Bride and Ninja Scroll.

Note to Vladimir: I suggest doing an archive search for "combat system",
as there's plenty of gold to mined there.  Personally I would favor posts
from Orion Henry, circa 1998 or so, but that's just me.

Adam