[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #163 - 25 msgs

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 16 23:11:44 CEST 2000

> Raph Koster wrote:
>
> I think the key here is to realize that something like The Sims manages to
> bridge both audiences. Rollercoaster Tycoon, same thing. And that's where
> the real potential comes, because we all know that by and large, it's going
> to be hard to get a subscription fee from something as shallow as the three
> examples you mention.

Those 2 particular titles, "the Sims" and "Roller Coaster", stand out like
like thumbs with flaming red nail polish on them.  The are coincidentally
very popular among gamers of the fairer sex.

Most females that I know are casual gamers (if they play PC games at all).
Most males that I know are hopeless game junkies.
These are of course generalizations.  ;-)

So perhaps...computer games which attract a high ratio of females
to males are those which attract casual gamers.
Which leads us in a circle back to earlier threads on what
women like in games. :-)

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--