[MUD-Dev] =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?RE=3A_=5BMUD-Dev=5D_Re=3A_=5BMUD-Dev=5D_Re=3A_Fan?= =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?tasy_clich=E9s_=28was=3A_Acting_casual_aboutcasua?= =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?lgamers=29?=

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Thu Jul 13 18:22:01 CEST 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Zak Jarvis wrote:
> > From: S. Patrick Gallaty [choke at sirius.com]
> > [Regarding Asheron's Call]
> > It has little in the way of a hook to hold the player.  Unlike
> > goal oriented play like EQ, or property oriented play like UO, AC
> > has no clear penalty for disappearing for a day or week, so it
> > does not reinforce habit.
>
> Actually, this is exactly the reason why I've been playing AC for about 10
> months now, and stopped playing EQ about a month after its release. I'm a
> busy person, and I don't have the time or energy to devote to a game that
> *demands* my attention. In fact, I resent games that do and avoid them.

Agreed, and we've had this discussion here before, and recently as well.
I think I mentioned that I create my own MUD aimed at people like myself -
you can play reasonably without requiring a huge time commitment.

Given that many of us (well, you and I at least) have a desire for low-time-
requirement games that are still fun, perhaps someone (Zak, or others?) could
post a semi-detailed description of the elements of Asheron's Call gameplay
that allows it to achieve that goal?

Adam