[MUD-Dev] Re: Introduction System

Nathan Clemons nathan at thelinuxcommunity.org
Thu Jul 13 09:25:18 CEST 2000

Response from one of my coders... who isn't on the list.

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Eric Concepcion wrote:

> Well I like it. The tick based cache expiration sounds good.. The only
> problem I see with this is... I sthis MUD going to be newbie friendly???
> If so is teh imm staff going to be the one greeting the newbies or is it
> going to be veteran player. If its going to be the players, then at a
> certain level this would have to be removed, or possibly (eureka)!!!

Obviously the immortal staff would always be able to see everyone and
recognize them. Otherwise, players must introduce themselves to other
players.

Example:

Player A (Newbie) logs on and finds his way out of MUD School. He sits at
the fountain where several other players are at. He sees:

   (P) A short, stocky man is picking his teeth while he is standing here.
   (P) An unimposing man is studying a spellbook while he is sitting here.
   (P) A flowing redheaded woman is looking at you while she is resting here.

Newbie, being a social person, decides to introduce himself. "Greetings,
fellow citizens. My name is Newbie."

   > introduce short
   You introduce yourself to a short, stocky man.
   > introduce unimposing
   You introduce yourself to an unimposing man.
   > introduce redhead
   You introduce yourself to a flowing redheaded woman.

Now, the redhead, let's call her Kirstie, is also a very friendly
person. "Greetings, Newbie, my name do be Kirstie, o' Clan Lasalach. How
fare ye today?"

   > introduce newbie
   You introduce yourself to Newbie.

Newbie would see:

   A flowing redheaded woman introduces herself to you and tells you her name is Kirstie.

At that point, if Newbie looks in the room, he would see:

   (P) A short, stocky man is picking his teeth while he is standing here.
   (P) An unimposing man is studying a spellbook while he is sitting here.
   (P) (Kirstie) A flowing redheaded woman is looking at you while she is resting here.

If the player has BRIEF mode on, they would see:

   (P) A short, stocky man is picking his teeth while he is standing here.
   (P) An unimposing man is studying a spellbook while he is sitting here.
   (P) Kirstie is looking at you while she is resting here.

> In the who output the names could always appear, but when you are in the
> room if you do not know the character then you will just see thier
> descrip. We will need canned descriptions, or we could have it be part of
> the character creation process or something to that effect, or we could
> even do a couple of canned ones per class adn leave them the option of
> creating one at that point if they dont like the canned ones.. That way no
> matter what they will have descriptions... Also they will ahve to be
> short.. I.e (Player) A short stout hobbit with an axe is here...
>
> That way people dont get spammed as they walk.. But I dig the idea due to
> the fact that it will lend reality to the world..

When walking one would see either "(Name) Appearance" or "Name" depending
on the BRIEF toggle. If you don't know them, you see "Appearance".

> I walk into a distant ( for me ) city. I look around and just see a bunch
> of player flags and descrips, but the others know everyone, and immediatly
> pick me out as an outsider and based on RP inclinations could decide to
> run me out of town, or trail me, or even introduce themselves and see what
> I wanted in their city.. Very cool..
>
> I do think though that in who or some other out of character forum all
> players logged in should be veiwable. Else I think the idea could bomb and
> backfire..
>
> My .02 gp :)

Agreed. There are separate IC titles (Kirstie's would be "is looking at
you while she") and OOC titles. The OOC titles would show on who. Names
(_not_ appearances) would show on who.

--
Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan at windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688