[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Mon Jul 10 12:02:11 CEST 2000

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Greg Miller wrote:
> (2) Curses: I haven't seen this one on any other muds, so if you know of
> one, I'd love to see it. I'm allowing players to put curses on anyone
> they have a name for (note that I'm using an introduction system, so you
> can only curse someone who's introduced himself, to whom you've assigned
> a nickname, or who has killed or cursed you) that last indefinately.
> They only take effect when the curser is logged in and do not have
> severe effects. A given player can have only one active curse on a
> single target, and can only curse a limited number of people. As a
> result, players will eventually need to forgive and forget old disputes
> in order to deal with new ones. Randomly cursing lots of people
> shouldn't be very effective as a harassment tool, since you can't harm
> them severely with one curse, yet they can cripple you since they have
> the advantage of numbers. Curses don't require hunting down the victim,
> so there should be no problem with powerful, skilled players being
> immune (which is a big problem with pk as an enforcement tool).

I've always liked the idea of death curses: if you attack and kill a witch-type
person, they will place a death curse upon you with their dying breath.
This works well with what you outline above: a death curse would last forever,
or until dispelled by some sort of exorcist-type person, making players
afraid of killing witch-types (even if they are easy to defeat in combat).

Adam