[MUD-Dev] Acting casual about casual gamers

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Sun Jul 9 23:00:20 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Miller" <gmiller at classic-games.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Acting casual about casual gamers

> Rayzam wrote:
>
> >     Actually, you misinterpreted me. It's not the same area can be taken
on
> > by any level of character. It's that when you create a new area, that
area
> > idea/theme should be able to be coded for a specific level/difficulty
for
> > characters, but that that level it will be coded for should be anywhere
from
> > super easy to super difficult.
> >
> >     Example: Paladin takes over a village to launch a crusade on the
> > countryside.  The paladin could be a low level 1 paladin, the villagers
> > become level 0 mortals.  Or it could be the High Paladin of Crusades,
level
> > 100.  Or it could be a Paladin level 30, etc.  My point is that a theme
for
> > an area should be independent of the level of the area when it is
finally
> > coded.
>
> But does it really make sense for a level 1 dragon to terrorize a
> village? Seems like thematic level independence is a reasonable
> objective, but you have to be careful not to go too far :)

    I don't believe things need to be so cut and dried.  A small village
might call a marauding giant insect a 'dragon'.  And hence, yes, a 'level 1
dragon' can terrorize a village.  You could accomplish the same by having a
butterfly terrorizing the village, however, that's the overall problem with
talking/scripting down to new players. So it's not like they kill Tiamat,
but to the village being terrorized and the heroes defeating the beast, to
all intents and purposes, it is a beast, with an appropriate beast name,
instead of a weak one.