[MUD-Dev] Acting casual about casual gamers

Charles Hughes charles.hughes at bigfoot.com
Sat Jul 8 20:25:51 CEST 2000

On Saturday, July 08, 2000 10:55 AM, Michael Tresca [SMTP:talien at toast.net]
wrote:
> My experiences at Elfwood (http://www.elfwood.com) show just how much the
> fantasy genre has been diluted by Dungeons and Dragons.  Someone drew an
> elf with long (as in, one-foot long) ears.  The artist was flamed into
next
> week because "that's not how elves look."
>
> How does anyone know what elves look like?  Of course, the inspiration
> for this art came from Deedlit in Record of the Lodoss Wars.  But
Dungeons
> and Dragons (and Tolkien) has become our staple of fantasy.  It's so
> ingrained, some people don't realize where they got their preconceived
> notions about a particular beast or fantasy race.

Actually, Tolkien took his from mythological sources and I take mine from
related sources. Even though I am heavily influenced by Tolkien, he's not
the root of all fantasy.  In the other sources Elves have short ears, not
foot-long ones.  However, I am referring to western European sources and
not the mythologies of the Americas, Asia, or Australia.