[MUD-Dev] Community Relations

Fri Jan 21 00:16:09 CET 2000

Matthew Mihaly wrote:
>=20
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Ola Fosheim [iso-8859-1] Gr=F8stad wrote:
> > Another analogy would be the old fashioned school system. "Listen to
> > what I teach you, do what I say, and don't tell me I am wrong, becaus=
> > then I'll whip your butts". I guess there must be a reason for why
> > that's considered old fashioned?
>=20
> Yes, but I don't see how it is relevant. The children were forced to go=
> schol. No one is forcing you to play a mud. The issue of choice is the
> paramount issue to me.

I think prisoners are forced to stay in court too? So why are you
objecting to my analogy if your own was basically screwed?

Some people are in essence trapped in MUDs and I am not entirely
convinced that they are any more free to leave than those kids are.  If
that is an important issue to you.  (Are you trying to tell me that kids
and adults require different treatment due to some kind of arbitrary
beliefsystem?)

> > I think perhaps the police is a better analogy, but the police is
> > supposed to be guided by strict rules. And in the physical world you
> > have much less control and risk much more. So that kind of respect is
> > not really required in a MUD.
>=20
> Required for what? Again, you are implicitly assuming that all mud admi=
ns
> do and must have the same goals.

Required in order to achieve the same effect as in the physical domain.
I don't think I assumed anything? Except that the police would be a
better analogy, if it hadn't been for the fact that the environment is
very different in nature?

> Oh, i agree, definitely not required for that, but I hardly see where
> administering a mud efficiently is the goal of the vast majority of mud
> admins.

Really? Explain.

> > Does the "evil" God reward you for insulting the "good" God?
>=20
> Gasp, definitely not. Doing so would weaken the respect that the
> institution of Godhood must hold for our system to be effective.

So the setting is basically just a shallow surface for obtaining control
and not a goal in it's own right?

Ola.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu