[MUD-Dev] Storing tokens with flex & bison

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Jan 1 11:29:00 CET 2000

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 02:13:07 +0100 (CET)
Christer Enfors <enfors at swipnet.se> wrote:

> I want to write a MUD server, and for this I want to develop a
> LPC-like interpreting programming (or call it scripting if you
> like) language with flex and bison.

I would strongly suggest having a look at ANTLR (used to be PCCTS).
(You can find links to ANTLR and other bits in the Library at
Kanga.Nu) At one time there was a fair bit of discussion here on
PCCTS with Jeff Kesselman from the Ten Network.  Flex and Bison are
good tools, its just that there are better ones available.  ANTLR is
not the only other alternative

> Maybe someone could point me to a lex & yacc tutorial that
> includes writing an interpreted language that allowes user defined
> functions written in that language, since that is basically what
> I'm trying to do myself.

Frankly, just buy the O'Reilly book.  Now.  It will save you untold
pain.  You may also like to read the Crenshaw compiler tutorial at:

  ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/pub/Devel/Docs/Crenshaw.Compiler.Tutorial.zip

It was posted here a while ago by Jon Lambert if you wish to read it
that way.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu