[MUD-Dev] Newbies

Geoffrey A. MacDougall geoffrey at poptronik.com
Tue Feb 22 18:26:06 CET 2000

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF7D8C.317300B0

> When complete newbies log onto my mud, players are not as
> helpful as I like,
> for a variety of reasons. That might be that they find
> themselves answering
> the same old questions, they're busy in a pk melee, they're
> unwilling to
> invest hours in helping/teaching someone who might leave, or
> whatever - so
> if I might prod your collective wisdom...
>
> Have others experienced this phenomenon, and how did they
> deal with it? Do
> you reward people in some way for helping newbies, and if so,
> how?

I don't know the details of your MUD, or your particular stance on how
immersive you require your solutions to be, but Asheron's Call has an
allegiance system that encourages senior players to help junior players.
Not a perfect solve, but at least they've made a conscious effort.

Any other thoughts?

http://www.microsoft.com/games/zone/asheronscall/allegiance.htm

"A L L E G I A N C E   A N D
F E L L O W S H I P   S Y S T E M
After creating your character and entering Dereth, you literally have the
world at your feet. However, the early stages of your life will likely be
filled with both trials and tribulations as you find your way through the
land. To help you adjust, Asheron's Call has implemented the following
systems.

Allegiances
Upon entering Dereth, you will have the option to swear allegiance to
another player character, who in turn may offer you resources, protection,
or other considerations. As a subject you can only swear allegiance to one
leader at a time. The leader earns a share of his subjects' experience
points in exchange for his leadership. Leaders can offer rewards to attract
subjects at their own discretion, but are not required to do so by the game.

A "King" topping a large pyramid will tend to accumulate experience in a
hurry; however, the group as a whole benefits and grows strong relatively
quickly because of the extra experience points it generates. The very lowest
players in the pyramid will not get extra experience, but they will have the
patronage and protection of a relatively powerful group and may be able to
participate in more ambitious adventures than if they went solo.

Fellowships
Players often form a fellowship to accomplish some common goal, such as
exploring a dungeon, finding treasure, and destroying monsters. Experience
points gained by the fellowship are divided among members based on their
levels, so that, for example, a third-level character in a group will get
more than a first-level character and less than a sixth-level character.
Often in your adventures, you will need skills and abilities you do not
possess; thus, fellowships are especially effective if they hold a balance
of warriors, magicians, healers, and rogues. Fellowships can be created and
joined without cost, and last only for a single gaming session. When you
exit the game, you leave the fellowship. If the leader who created the
fellowship exits the game, the fellowship is broken. "

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF7D8C.317300B0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: [MUD-Dev] Newbies</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>> When complete newbies log onto my mud, players =
are not as </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> helpful as I like,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> for a variety of reasons. That might be that =
they find </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> themselves answering</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> the same old questions, they're busy in a pk =
melee, they're </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> unwilling to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> invest hours in helping/teaching someone who =
might leave, or </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> whatever - so</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> if I might prod your collective =
wisdom...</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> Have others experienced this phenomenon, and =
how did they </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> deal with it? Do</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> you reward people in some way for helping =
newbies, and if so, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> how?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I don't know the details of your MUD, or your =
particular stance on how immersive you require your solutions to be, =
but Asheron's Call has an allegiance system that encourages senior =
players to help junior players.  Not a perfect solve, but at least =
they've made a conscious effort.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Any other thoughts?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/games/zone/asheronscall/allegiance.htm"=
 =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/games/zone/asheronscall/alleg=
iance.htm</A></FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>"A L L E G I A N C E   A N D </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>F E L L O W S H I P   S Y S T E M </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>After creating your character and entering Dereth, =
you literally have the world at your feet. However, the early stages of =
your life will likely be filled with both trials and tribulations as =
you find your way through the land. To help you adjust, Asheron's Call =
has implemented the following systems. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Allegiances </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Upon entering Dereth, you will have the option to =
swear allegiance to another player character, who in turn may offer you =
resources, protection, or other considerations. As a subject you can =
only swear allegiance to one leader at a time. The leader earns a share =
of his subjects' experience points in exchange for his leadership. =
Leaders can offer rewards to attract subjects at their own discretion, =
but are not required to do so by the game. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>A "King" topping a large pyramid will tend =
to accumulate experience in a hurry; however, the group as a whole =
benefits and grows strong relatively quickly because of the extra =
experience points it generates. The very lowest players in the pyramid =
will not get extra experience, but they will have the patronage and =
protection of a relatively powerful group and may be able to =
participate in more ambitious adventures than if they went solo. =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Fellowships </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Players often form a fellowship to accomplish some =
common goal, such as exploring a dungeon, finding treasure, and =
destroying monsters. Experience points gained by the fellowship are =
divided among members based on their levels, so that, for example, a =
third-level character in a group will get more than a first-level =
character and less than a sixth-level character. Often in your =
adventures, you will need skills and abilities you do not possess; =
thus, fellowships are especially effective if they hold a balance of =
warriors, magicians, healers, and rogues. Fellowships can be created =
and joined without cost, and last only for a single gaming session. =
When you exit the game, you leave the fellowship. If the leader who =
created the fellowship exits the game, the fellowship is broken. " =
</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01BF7D8C.317300B0--