[MUD-Dev] Client side prediction

Tue Feb 22 12:33:24 CET 2000

Justin Rogers wrote:
> And all games still don't have pixel perfect collision detection.
> Check out
> brand new games like Donkey Kong 64 on the N64.  The bound rectangles
> overlap.  Half of you character can be in another room.  You can be
> punching
> nearly 180 degress away from someone and still hit them.

Yes, that is what you do now. The artist places boxes in a way that
doesn't piss off players. The fact is that there is nothing more
distracting than (negative) discrepancies in visual expectations and
outcomes.

> But the end results would be the same.  Hes correct on the sequencing
> of
> movement in a game.  It doesn't have to be perfect.

I don't think I ever suggested perfect, that's a given as you have to
allow for lag on international connections.

>  I've looked at
> all of the
> really high speed 3D multiplayer games with 4 or 6 monitors side by
> side and
> what each of the users sees is totally different from what the others
> see.  They
> don't waste time transmitting perfect sync crap and they spend more
> time giving
> the users absolute speed.

You can to some extent get away with that in 1POV because it by nature
is subjective and limited.  Which I personally view as a disadvantage
really. It is however frigging annoying when you don't get to hit
somebody that you see, or get hit by someone you can't see, and that is
what is going to happen if you have drift and _lag_. Or worse: you see
somebody going down the left corridor, while he actually went down the
right one.

Not sure what you mean by absolute speed is.

Ola.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu