[MUD-Dev] voice vs. text

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Sun Feb 20 16:17:09 CET 2000

[Matt wrote]
> I'd have to agree with Dr. Cat here. I think adding real-time voice
chat
> to games is going to be inevitable. I don't know that much about the
> technology, but it seems to me that the client could have some sort
of
> capacity to alter the sound of your voice, no?

    Text to speech is becoming quite a technology nowadays and speech
text is even more inevitable than text to speech is.  So the option
could be
inline to transfer the speech to text for command purposes and also to
use
that generated text to be put through a text to speech processor where
the
user can choose his voice.  voice can then be encoded either into
mp3-mp4-au
style formats which are low bandwidth.  Probably mp3-mp4 as it is more
suited
for streaming I think.

    - Justin Rogers, CEO DigiTec Web Consultants

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu